Fire on Granby Street

By Harry Rogers

 

A section of Granby Street in Leicester City Centre was sealed off for over an hour today after a fast food restaurant went up in flames.

Maryland Chicken workers battled with the blaze which started on the grill before fire fighters arrived to put it out.

No-one was injured in the fire although the four-storey building suffered smoke logging on all floors.

Breathing and ventilation equipment was used by the fire fighters to tackle the large amount of smoke.

Station central manager Simon Holden said: “We were happy that there was nobody else up there.

“We confirmed that quickly so we knew we were just dealing with that range fire in Maryland Chicken.”

17036498_1311796465550754_1038279909_o

The space above the restaurant houses multi-occupancy office space which will now have to be repaired due to the smoke damage.

A passer-by, who did not want to be named, said: “I walked around the corner to see fire fighters flying out of three fire engines.

“It scared me because I did not know what was going on.”

The road was re-opened after fire fighters double-checked Maryland Chicken’s extraction system.

 

Leave a Comment!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: