UPDATE: Investigation launched following deaths at address in Hinckley

Detectives have launched an investigation following the discovery of three bodies, two children and one man in a semi-detached house in Hinckley, Leicestershire.

Although the two children and the man whose bodies were found in a house in Hinckley, Leicestershire, earlier yesterday morning have not yet been formally identified, they are believed to be a local family.

Detectives believe the dead man was 43-year-old David Stokes, and the children were his sons Adam, aged 11, and Matthew, aged five.

Police Officers were called to the house in Welwyn Road at around 9.30pm on Tuesday night (1 November) in response to calls from residents who had reported hearing a disturbance in a property in the street.

Officers identified the house concerned and negotiators and other specialist officers were deployed to the scene where contact was made with a man and a woman in the house.

In the early hours of yesterday morning, a woman, David’s wife and the children’s mother, Sally Stokes, was found injured in the house in Welwyn Road and was taken to hospital where she remains in a stable condition.

Officers gained access to the house and a man, believed to be Mr Stokes, was found in the property but was pronounced dead at the scene.

During a search of the house, the bodies of the two children were also found.

The two boys attended St Mary’s CE Primary School, and the headteacher, Rachel Ayres, said: “Everyone at St Mary’s is devastated by the tragic news about our pupils, Adam and Matthew, and our sincere sympathies are with their family and friends.

“This is an extremely difficult time for our pupils, staff and parents and our priority is supporting them. Special assemblies are being held tomorrow to support the children. Prayers will be said and we will have staff and counsellors available to speak to the children to ensure we’re providing as much help as we can during this traumatic time.”

Detailed forensic examinations were underway at the house, as were house-to-house enquiries with residents elsewhere in Welwyn Road which remained cordoned off at its junction with both Glebe Road and Trevor Road and was expected to remain so for some time yet.

It is not yet known what caused the deaths of the man and the two children. Whilst post mortem examinations will take place to establish these details, at this stage officers are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.

Given that officers had been in contact with both the man and the woman during the evening, Leicestershire Police is required to inform the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

Detective Chief Supt David Sandall, Head of Leicestershire Police’s Crime and Intelligence Directorate, said:

“A number of enquiries are now underway to understand what caused the three deaths, and the circumstances surrounding the events of last night [Tuesday] in the house. Whilst we are not, at this stage, looking for anyone in connection with what happened, we would like to hear from anyone who may have information for us.

“Police officers and other specialist units will remain in the area in order to carry out necessary enquiries.”

Enquiries have been underway since the small hours to locate the families of those involved in Tuesday night’s incident, and all the next of kin are now aware.

If you have any information, please call 101 quoting incident 748 of 1 November 2016.

Leave a Comment!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: