Leicester park safety fears ‘unfair’ say police

By Beth Mosettig

A Leicestershire Press investigation has discovered nearly 50 cases of violence and sexual assault have taken place this year in the vicinity of a popular Leicester park.

Police figures show there have been 47 reported cases of this type of crime between January 2016 and August 2016, in the area between Regents Road, Tigers Way and Welford Road, which includes Leicester’s Nelson Mandela Park.

Our investigation follows a police appeal for information after a woman was seriously sexually assaulted in Nelson Mandela Park earlier this year.

The 33-year-old-woman was approached from behind and sexually assaulted. Police are hunting three men in relation to the attack. No arrests have yet been made.

Inspector Simon Preston, the Commander for the city centre neighbourhood policing area, said: “The figures are not a fair representation of the level of crime in and around Nelson Mandela Park.

He said that in order to maintain anonymity of victims the police.uk figures did not pinpoint a precise location of where the crime was committed.

“There were six incidents of sexual assault on Regents Road, Tigers Way and Welford Road – an area which includes HMP Leicester, the Leicester Royal Infirmary and numerous multi-occupancy housing. One of these incidents involved a stranger attack and the investigation is continuing to find the person responsible.

“It is unfair to suggest that Nelson Mandela Park is unsafe because of the level of crime in its vicinity. We would always encourage everyone to stay in well-lit areas and to always walk in groups – this would be the advice for everyone of all ages in all parks across the city.”

Assistant City Mayor Manjula Sood, said: “There should be patrols at all times of the day not just in the evening, and they should have plain clothes officers on patrol as attackers might move on if they can spot police officers.”

“One assault is too much there might be many more assaults that aren’t even being reported to police.”

Nelson Mandela Park – named after the former South African leader in the late 1980s – is a busy city park, situated between Welford Road and Waterloo Way.

It features a playground, a green space and is commonly used as a cut through for shoppers and students.

It is a well-known and well-used public space – which makes these figures even more shocking, said Linda York, Manager of Leicester Rape Crisis.

“I didn’t know about the figures – but I would advise women not to walk in the park alone or carry your phone with a light on. Try to make yourself visible and, if possible, make sure you are with someone if you can be.”

Middlesborough and Leicester fans take the fighting off the pitch

MAR FIGHTING FOOTBALL FANS .jpg

Police intervened on the fighting fans 

By Mark Farmer

Clashes between Leicester City and Middlesbrough fans broke out on the evening of Saturday 26 November after their team’s game at the King Power Stadium.

Fan-recorded videos emerged on social media shortly after the final whistle.

Rival supporters can be seen in a stand-off leading to punches being thrown by both sets of supporters before police intervened.

The match, which ended in a 2-2 draw, saw the home side salvage a point late on through a 94th minute Islam Slimani penalty to cancel out two Alvaro Negredo goals.

Both teams have found themselves embroiled in a relegation battle, despite Leicester’s title winning heroics last season.

This does not excuse the behaviour of the supporters, however, who began fighting inside the stadium before piling together on the terraces outside the ground.

One Leicester City season of ticket holder of 11 years, Vicki Connelly, said: “There were about 50 people fighting inside the stadium and stewards were trying to split them up.”

“There were large groups outside that were trying to get at each other.”

Footage prior to the skirmishes showed Leicester fans chanting, ‘dirty northern b*******’ to antagonise Middlesbrough supporters into fighting.

Scenes like these have threatened to drag the sport back into its dark ages that were more commonplace in the 1980s with hooliganism rife on football’s terraces.

One twitter user Lee Lowery, 20, took to the social media site to voice his concerns.

He said: “Seeing Leicester and Boro fans fighting yesterday after the game and thinking what a disgrace, don’t even call yourselves fans of the sport.”

Vicki reiterated this after she revealed a male Middlesbrough fan threatened to ‘knock her out’ after she was overheard praising his team.

She said: “I don’t think these people represent football fans at all, because most of them don’t know how to behave.

“I get that people are going to be passionate about their team because I am, too.

“I saw fans chanting at each other, and that’s fine because it was all light-hearted, but as soon as it gets physical its gone way too far.”

Leicestershire Police confirmed two men, aged 18 and 33, were arrested following the incidents on Saturday.

They have been released on bail pending further inquiries.

Man charged following fatal collision

A man has been charged with a number of offences after a fatal collision in Fosse Road South, Leicester, earlier this year.

Guy Tomlinson, 37, of Norfolk Walk, Leicester, has been charged with two counts of causing death by dangerous driving, two counts of causing death by driving while uninsured and two counts of causing death by driving while unlicensed.

He is due to appear before Leicester Magistrates’ Court tomorrow (Saturday 29 October).

The charges relate to a fatal collision in Fosse Road South on Wednesday 9 March which resulted in the death of David Anger and Christopher Needham.

Leicestershire Police release image of man in connection to serious sexual assault in Leicester

By Beth Mosettig

E-fit.jpg

This is the face of the man being hunted by police in connection with a serious sexual assault in a Leicester Park.

The 33-year-old victim was walking through Nelson Mandela Park when she was approached from behind and subjected to a serious sexual assault.

Police believe that there may have been two other men in the area during the assault. They are treating all three men, who were described as black, as suspects.

The assault took place on Friday, February 5, between 9.30pm and 10.30pm. Police have only just released the image.

The main suspect has been described by police as of stocky build, in his 30s, tall, slim, with chin-length dreadlocks. He spoke with a southern accent.

The second  man was described as of stocky build, with a distinctive tattoo of a dagger or knife on his head. There is no detailed description of the third man.

The victim assisted police in compiling the computer generated image and they are keen to hear from anyone who recognises the man in the picture.

If you recognise the man in the image or any of the suspect descriptions then please get in touch with police.

If you have any information please contact DC 3011 James Piskula on 101, quoting crime number 20194.