Some non-urgent operations in Leicestershire stopped due to Covid-19 fears

by Molly Kerridge

Some non-urgent operations across hospitals in Leicestershire have been stopped as the second wave of Covid-19 is predicted to be worse than the first.

Andy Williams, chief executive of Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland’s clinical commissioning groups, last Wednesday (11NOV) tweeted: “Just finished LLR [Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland] Covid-19 meeting – health and care system now at high escalation.

“Second wave looks like it’s going to be much worse than the first – plus people have lockdown fatigue and staff are really tired.”

He also apologised to those whose non-urgent operations and outpatient appointments had been postponed.

The University Hospitals of Leicester Trust said that cancer treatment, children’s services and other non-urgent operations will still go ahead, despite the rise in cases in the city.

Leicester and the neighbouring borough Oadby and Wigston have had the 13th and 14th highest rates of infection in the last week, according to official government figures.

A spokeswoman from the trust said that patients should attend appointments unless told otherwise and urged people to stick to government guidelines on how to reduce the risk of spreading the virus.

Leave a Comment!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: