City fans caught in false alarm terror scare

By Kiran Bedder-Patel


People run down Oxford Street, London

People run down Oxford Street, London

Leicester City fans found themselves caught up in Friday’s Oxford Street terrorist scare as they were about to watch the Foxes take on West Ham at the London stadium.

Mistaken reports of gun shots heard at 4:38pm sparked a major panic in and around the Oxford Circus tube station and led to a police response of a terror alert.

George Proctor, 22, was amongst a large group of Leicester fans who were having a pre-match drink at the Flying Horse pub, Oxford Street and were told to stay inside and remain calm.

George said: “It was crazy, you see it on the news and you never think anything like this can happen anywhere near you.

“I was just gazing out the window at the street and all of a sudden a slow, medium and then fast flow of people came running past, most of them screaming and shouting with their shopping.

“It was so scary, within seconds the news channel, which was already on the TV flashed up with a breaking news bulletin that there had been a declared terror alert on Oxford Street.

“We panicked and were all told to remain calm and don’t panic. My head was doing flips.”
Helicopters hovered above the city and police sirens were heard all around but about 5:15pm shops re-opened their doors and at 6:05pm, police stood down the operation, later reporting it was just an incident on a platform in Oxford Circus tube station and that no evidence had been found of gun shots.

George added: “We weren’t to know obviously, so to be around that panic environment was not nice at all and left me on edge for the rest of the night, seeing all them police officers running around with guns and kids running with their parents.

“We stayed in that pub right up until 7:00pm and then made our way to the stadium by taxi, no chance I was going by tube.

“It seemed very real. I did not enjoy the game at all. I was only at ease when my train pulled up in Leicester.”

No fans were harmed and all attended the game which resulted in the Foxes battling out a 1-1 draw with West Ham after Marc Albrighton’s goal was cancelled out by Cheikhou Kouyate’s header.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: