#LivesNotKnives – knife amnesty begins

A month-long amnesty has been launched today (Thursday 20 October) for those who carry knives on the streets of Leicester.

Amnesty bins have been installed in six police stations in and around the city where people can safely dispose of knives.

The initiative is part of a majoimg_20161019_135446-jpg-340x340_q85r campaign called #LivesNotKnives that was launched this week to combat knife crime.

The bins can be found at the following police stations:

Superintendent Kerry Smith said:

“The bins will be in place for four weeks and I would urge anyone who carries a knife in public to take it straight to one of these bins and get rid of it.

“While overall knife crime has remained pretty stable over the last few years, the number of people caught in possession of knives has recently increased, and that is not only unacceptable but will not be tolerated.

“Knives cost lives and can have a devastating consequence on all those involved, from the victim and their family to the perpetrator and their loved ones. Simply being caught in possession of a knife or bladed instrument in public can lead to a four year prison sentence.

“I would strongly advise those who think, for whatever reason, it is acceptable and necessary to carry a knife to take it straight to one of these bins and get rid of it.”

The #LivesNotKnives campaign coincides with a national week of action being undertaken by police forces up and down the country to tackle knife crime.

The campaign hopes to:

  • reduce the number of knife-related offences within the city
  • educate and inform young people regarding the dangers of carrying knives; and
  • target young people who are believed to be carrying knives and to bring them to justice.

Those planning to hand in their knives should ensure they are covered and placed in a bag or container before being taken to a participating police station.

Man stabbed during violent assault in Leicester city centre

BY OLIVIA WHALEY

Leicestershire Police have issued an appeal for witnesses after a man was stabbed in Leicester city centre on Friday evening.

Officers were called to Oxford Street on the Central Ring Road at around 5.40pm after it was reported that a man had been stabbed.

The victim was immediately admitted to hospital where his condition was described as stable.

A Leicestershire Police spokesperson added: “Officers are in the very early stages of their enquiries and would like to speak to anyone who may have witnessed the incident or the circumstances leading up to the assault.”

The police cordoned off part of Oxford street for the evening whilst forensic experts examined the scene.

Crime and police commissioner Lord Willy Bach told the Leicester Mercury that the ‘police are working incredibly hard to tackle violence.’ He also added ‘that this is not something that they can tackle alone.’

police

Leicestershire Police have taken to Twitter to encourage witnesses to step forward.

 

UK Crime figures show that violent crimes made up for 15.7% of incidents that took place on Oxford Street in July 2016.

crime

Police are encouraging anyone with information to help by contacting 101 and quoting incident 566 of October 7.

Three men from Leicester sentenced to almost 20 years

BY OLIVIA WHALEY

Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 14.01.08.png

These are the faces of three criminals who have been sentenced to almost 20 years for their involvement in a number of burglaries in Leicestershire and Cornwall.

The three men, Thomas Law, Callum Marson and Scott Colman appeared at court last week where they were charged with robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, conspiracy to commit burglary and conspiracy to steal motor vehicles.

The men are already serving prison sentences for handling stolen goods and aggravated vehicle taking without consent.

Law, 28, was arrested in November 2014 after crashing a stolen car he was driving. In thecar, property was found that linked the three men to burglaries over the previous days across Leicestershire and Cornwall.

A Leicestershire police spokesperson said: “After their initial prosecutions, investigative work continued that linked the men to other burglaries, which they have now been sentenced for.”

The UK crime statistics shows that robbery made up for 1.2% of crimes in Leicester during July.

screen-shot-2016-10-06-at-14-10-09To find out more visit: https://leics.police.uk/news-appeals/news/2016/10/05/career-criminals-sentenced-to-almost-20-years

 

 

Did you see this assault on three men in Leicester?

breaking_1_1

Police are stepping up their appeals for witnesses to an assault on three men in Belgrave Road, Leicester.

A spokesman said:  “If you saw what happened in the incident, contact us. We need your help with our investigation. Please call us on 101, quoting incident number 16000293468.”

Officers were called in the early hours of the morning of September 25 to a report of a disturbance in the B & M Store car park.

Two men, aged 33 and 25, were taken to hospital. The 33-year-old has been discharged and the 25-year-old remains in the Queen’s Medical Centre in a stable condition.

The spokesman added: “It has since come to our attention that a third man, a 19-year-old, was injured in the incident. He was taken to the Leicester Royal Infirmary and has since been discharged.”

Five people have now been arrested in connection with an assault.

The arrested men – a 33-year-old, a 19-year-old, a 17-year-old and two 20-year-olds – have been bailed pending further enquiries.

Latest figures from the website UK crime statistics show that during July there were 124 violent or sexual crimes committed in a one mile radius of Belgrave Road.

graph-page-001

More information about the incident can be found at the Leicestershire Police website.

 

Leicester lottery scammers collect thousands of pounds from victims

key-advice-page-001

The public are being warned to remain vigilant after a number of people have been coerced into handing over thousands of pounds in return for a winning lottery ticket.

The reports relate to victims being approached in the street by one or two people who claim that they have won the lottery but are unable to claim the winnings as they require a passport of another form of identification.

The victims are then asked for money in return for the winning lottery ticket. In some cases the victims are elderly or vulnerable and as much as £50,000 in cash and jewellery has been handed over to the suspects.

Detective Constable Catherine Thompson, who is investigating the incidents, said: “These callous criminals have preyed on vulnerable people. From the reports we’ve received so far we estimate more than £100,000 in cash has been coerced from the victims.

“We would urge the public to remain vigilant, if you have been a victim of similar fraud and haven’t yet spoken with the police please come forward and report the incident to us, you may be able to provide vital information which could take our enquiries forward.”

 

So far seven incidents have occurred at various locations in Leicester including Trevino Drive, Melton Road, Windsor Avenue, Narborough Road, Belgrave Road, Totland Road and Edward Avenue in the last six months.

Police are also investigating reports of victims being approached by people asking for directions and while they are distracted bank cards and other items have been stolen.

DC Thompson added: “We believe from enquiries we’ve conducted so far that others may have been approached in similar circumstances but may not have agreed to help the suspects.

“We would like to speak to anyone who has information about these incidents or may have been approached by someone either claiming to have won the lottery or looking for directions.”

Anyone with any information about the incidents is asked to contact DC 4626 Catherine Thompson on 101, quoting crime number 220722.