Firefighters called after cigarette starts fire at De Montfort University

By Max Pearson

Fire engines were seen arriving at De Montfort University’s Hugh Aston building last Thursday afternoon after reports of a fire.

22375243_10203703122975489_1656959311_o

Third-year Law student, Elizabeth McCaul, who was at the building when the alarm was raised, said: “I was in a law seminar on the second floor of the Hugh Aston building and I heard what sounded like fire extinguishers being used.

“Then after about 5 minutes we heard the fire alarms go off, so we evacuated the building.”

It is believed that a still-lit cigarette started the fire on one of the walls of the Hugh Aston building.

Firefighters from Leicestershire Fire and Rescue were able to extinguish the fire quickly and the previously-evacuated students were allowed to return into the building to continue their lectures after about half an hour.

Leave a Comment!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: